Thursday, February 4, 2010

Back in the real world

After 2+ days of travel I am back in the continent of North America, hanging out in LA airport waiting to board the first of my last two flights home. Six flights in total... and so far I've clocked 24 hours in the air (not counting layover time).

We were warned that we would find the adjustment to life back in the real world a bit strange, but I didn't think a month would really make that much of a difference. But it was weird. Here are some of the things I realised I took for granted in my regular life:

1. Greenery & colour (the botanical gardens in Christchurch were a mind blowing experience after a month of shades of brown and white)

2. The smell of humid air (down on the ice all you smell is cold air, which has no smell, fuel and sweaty people.

3. The presence of children and pets. This was probably the weirdest of them all. Didn't even notice that they weren't down in McMurdo... but definitely was aware of them in the real world.

4. The almost immediate re-hydration of my poor cracked hands.

5. There are birds other than penguins and skuas ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment