Monday, January 11, 2010

Pop Quiz

The past few days have been a whirlwind of lectures and safety training. I'm now approved to drive a snowmobile, dispose of waste properly, and safely walk on sea ice. Lots of neat things have been happening around the station too, so I'm trying to get some of the photos organized and post on a particular topic rather than just daily events. In the mean time I'll leave you with a few cool photos/facts and a pop quiz!

j
(Fully outfitted in the ECW gear... standing on the annual sea ice!)

Fact: The US Antarctic program ships over 300 containers of waste back to the USA every year. Of that, 60% is recycled. This means we have to sort EVERYTHING we throw out into the craziest system of garbage bins I've ever seen. And I thought wet/dry sorting was nuts!!

Fact: Antarctica is not only the coldest, windiest, and highest continent. It's also the driest. We're talking Sahara Desert dry. I had no idea. It is being driven into our brains to drink loads of fluids to stay hydrated and clear headed. How much is loads? They suggest 6 litres a day!!!

POP QUIZ: The first person to correctly tell me what the picture below is all about will receive post card from Antarctica. :)

12 comments:

  1. penguins having fun walking and sliding on the ice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoops- hard to get a postcard if I don't leave my name- Tina from Corner Brook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracks from space-age looking vehicle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ydod&M - maybe those dummy Emperors you saw on your way in went walkabout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johanne, we are enjoying your well written and entertaining blog and look forward to reading about your daily adventures! Rick and Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoying your blog Johanne. Could that be the well known flightless 'Chinstrap Haggis'? Fiona in Scotland

    ReplyDelete
  7. two people walking in bunny boots ?
    Sacha
    P.S. I love your blog !! lokks like you are having an amazing adventure

    ReplyDelete
  8. erin - south pole sasquatch sweethearts

    ReplyDelete
  9. somebody already took my answer of penguins so now i will have to come up with something a hell of alot better. think think think.....snowmobile tire tracks perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It better be penguins, they are heading straight for the water! P & I Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete