Friday, January 29, 2010

So many blogs, so little time

I realise I have been blog-negligent over the last week. I am still alive, although barely, but still loving every minute of my time in Antarctica. Today was the last day of the course and it was spent attending (and presenting) in a mini science symposium where all the groups presented their research accomplishments. The long days leading up to this were packed full of lab work and fish sampling that had me at the lab until 1 or 3 am most days (and up again and on the go by 8 am the following day). Needless to say we are all sleep deprived, but glowing with the praise of our instructors and with the news that we were probably the best course they've ever had (in 20 years!).

I have many blogs floating around in my head and hopefully I'll get some time over our next few days here (between lab clean-up and last minute exploring) to get them posted.

For tonight, I'll leave you with this beautiful horizon I saw on the way home around midnight. There has been a noticeable change in the light, especially at night, during my stay on Ross Island. Midnight "sunsets" are just beautiful and full of colour. The pictures do not come close to doing justice to the view, but it's an attempt. It is a Fata Morgana ( a term I've only learned tonight): a bizarre temperature inversion that causes mirages or mirror images and duplicates of the mountain ranges and islands along the horizon looking south.

(Look just to the left of the person's head to see a ghost island of the dark land island on the far right. Also, see the flattening of 'Black Island' on the far left, above the green building)

(Double or even triple images of Black Island)

I also love the contrast between the spectacular, wild and rugged view on the horizon and the industrial, muddy McMurdo. Keeps it all real.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. The effect was named after Morgaine Le Fay, Arthur's half-sister, I suposed because she was half-fairy and she could shape-shift.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The third pic reminds me of Newfoundland, except probably warmer.

    ReplyDelete